Mammaw we already miss you!


My grandmother passed away last Sunday and I miss her so much! Every time I go by the hospital I feel like I should be pulling in. Or like yesterday I was cooking and had to pull out my recipe book-well it is filled with recipes from her and then the emotions surface again.
I am so blessed to have had such wonderful grandparents-they were such a huge part of my life and who I am. My grandfather was a minister and I thank God that they both were a big force in leading me in the right path towards a Christian life.
My heart just aches because I miss her so much, but, I know without a doubt that she is in heaven and not suffering any more. One of the last things I said to her was that I loved her and to tell Pap-paw we love him too. Life just seems so fragile right now after dealing with mammaws death and one thing I want to do is to just cherish every day with those that I love and I challenge you to do the same.
We moved mammaw to Paris this past October so that mom and I could care for her and have more time with her and I so cherish the memories I have. So much that alot of times the slightest thing can trigger a memory of her and I replay it over and over again in my mind in hopes that I will never forget it.
My boys loved her so much and she did them too. It was so obvious...even the day before she died, when she seemed unresponsive, Jason brought them up to see her and when he put Ben on her bed she tried to wave and smile. :)
I asked Ben last night "Do you know how much I love you?" and he said "yes a llllooooottt!" and I said "Yes!"and then asked him if he knew who else loved him and he said "Yes, meemaw lock lock!" Now that wasn't what I thought he would say. I was trying to let him know how much God loves him too. But I thought it was so sweet of him! And yes Ben-meemaw lock lock DOES love you! :)
RACHEL SELENE BUTLER MATLOCK
Rachel Selene Butler Matlock died Sunday, March 30, 2008 at Henry COunty Medical Center a the age of 86. She was born on March 5, 1922 in Mifflin, TN (outside of Jackson) to John Clifford Butler and Buford Selene Harbert Butler. She had one sister, the late Mary Elizabeth Butler Thornton of Mifflin, TN, and 2 brothers, Charles Melvin Butler of Mifflin, TN and J.C. Butler of Peoria, IL.
She married Ralph Vernon Matlock from Beech Bluff, TN on February 14, 1942 and on January 23, 1943 their first daughter Roslynn Kay Matlock was born. Their second daughter Ronda Fay Matlock was born on April 27, 1944. Her daughters both went to Bethel College. While there Roslynn met and married Jim Hayes and moved to Paris. Ronda lives in Memphis and was married to Jim Smith who passed away in April of 2007.
Rachel worked at the pajama factory and a dress shop and was at times a homemaker, and she always did a wonderful job fulfilling the duties of a pastor’s wife. She loved to sew and quilt and was a great cook.
Ralph served in the U.S. Air Force in WWII for approximately 4 years. When he returned home from the war he felt a calling to be a minister and enrolled at Bethel College in McKenzie and then went to Memphis Theological Seminary and became a Cumberland Presbyterian minister. Ministry led them to many different churches through the years. They served:
First CP Church in Hohenwald, TN,Pine Bluff CP Church in Pine Bluff, AR,First CP Church in Lewisburg, TN, Tusculum CP Church in Nashville, TN, Holly Grove CP Church in Covington, TN, Brunswick CP Church outside of Memphis, TN, First CP Church in Jackson, TN.
Her husband, Ralph, passed away in August of 1997. They had 51 wonderful years together.
Rachel would always say “I may not have much money, but I am rich in family!”… Rachel had 5 grandchildren: Brian Hayes of Calvert City, KY, Tonya Hayes Nash of Paris, Kayla Hayes Nation of Freeburg, IL, Kendra Hayes McCuistion of Paris and Keith Garrett of Memphis, TN. 11 great-grandchildren: Brandon & Kelsey Hayes (Calvert City, KY) Jonathan & Laura Nash (Paris), Kaylyn, Kathryn & Kolby Nation (Freeburg, IL) Will, Drew & Ben McCuistion (Paris) and Logan Garret (Memphis, TN).
1 comments:
This from Valerie and I thought what she wrote was so sweet I had to share it! :).....
Thank you so much for the honor of sharing her with me. I love you and now know who it was was guided you into the very special person you are. What a gift God gave the world when He created your Grandmother!
V
Post a Comment